October 19, 2007
The Great Physician
ODB RADIO: Listen Now DownloadREAD: John 9:1-7
He Himself took our infirmities and bore our sicknesses. —Matthew 8:17
-->About this cover
In reflecting on his deteriorating health, John Donne (1572–1631) described his feelings as physicians examined him to find "the root and occasion" of a serious illness. In hushed tones, they discussed their conclusions outside his room.
At first Donne was afraid, but in time he saw compassion in their faces and began to trust them. Their concern reminded Donne that he could trust the Great Physician. As he read the Gospels, he saw God the Father’s face in the tender, compassionate face of Jesus.
Many of us struggle with our thoughts about God, especially during illness. Perhaps we grew up attending a church that portrayed an angry God who inflicted sickness on us. Can we trust Him? Like Donne, we turn to the Gospels for our reason to trust God. And we find it in His Son Jesus, who was unfailingly compassionate toward those who were afflicted, regardless of the reason.
So we pray as Donne prayed, "Deliver me, therefore, O my God, from these vain imaginations"—the belief that by our sin we have forfeited God’s goodness and mercy. As Donne wisely said, the Great Physician "knows our natural infirmities, for He had them, and knows the weight of our sins, for He paid a dear price for them." —David H. Roper—David H. Roper-->
The cross of Jesus is the supreme evidence of the love of God. —Oswald Chambers
For Further StudyWhy does God permit sickness in the lives ofHis children? Read Does God Want Me Well?on the Web at http://www.discoveryseries.org/q0104
For similar resources, search these topics:Christian Life > Personal Crisis > Suffering
Bible in One Year: Isaiah 56-58; 2 Thessalonians 2
~ ｜ ~閱覽更多新聞，請看世界日報。
A survey, Hsu \ ate more food outside to claim memory decline. 【- Memory - many young people consider themselves poor, are generally attributed to the work pressure, lack of sleep, but a survey pointed out that those who dine out frequently, since that memory of eating more "home meal," the number of people! According to Information Times reported that the Federation of Hong Kong in memory of this year from April to September period, visited the 2289 6-73, the public, 90% is acceptable form of face-to-face survey, and the remaining 10% of the questionnaires were filled out online.
About 40% of the respondents thought their memory getting worse, and 56% said that there were no major changes, about 4% that memory has improved.
Self memory improvement of the respondents, more than 41% at home all day eating three meals a day, nearly 35% Fresh twice a day "home meal"; Self memory getting worse and the respondents, 76.5% at least one meal a day to dine out one-third of at least two meals a day, a meal. The Council considers that the results showed that meals bought away from home will make memory deterioration.
The experts responsible for the survey said, the survey data show that memory is good or bad, happy or not a decisive, followed by the physical conditions and sleep time. Because of the pressure caused by cortisol will damage the hippocampus of the brain responsible for memory, and will always feel happy dopamine and norepinephrine to ensure a certain level, enhance memory.
Read more news, take a look at the World Journal.